Friday, April 18, 2008

Summer plans

Well, it is almost summer. Which means it is about time that I decide what I plan on accomplishing this summer. Every year, I try to come up with a list of goals for summer. Mostly, long-term projects and goals that I would like to accomplish.

Unfortunately, for the last few years, I have been allowing myself to get side-tracked and derailed despite having perfectly good plans for my college breaks. And each time, it is money concerns that get me side-tracked.

The wife tends to set off these derailments. Money concerns--budget problems--general low income, which tends to set off panic attacks in me and make me go look for big scores, rather than focusing on the nickel and dime opportunities that I already know about. At the end of the break, typically, all I have accomplished is frustrating myself because large scores are hard to find.

And the sad part is that I could have made progress on building my writing income if I would have remained focused on my nickel and dime (sometimes pennies per day) outlets. Better to make progress and bring in a few more pennies than bring in no pennies at all.

This year, her concern over the budget is starting early. I understand why; it is getting tight for us. Already, I am having to raid my summer budget to pay for food today.

But we are in the same position as everyone else is. I read a report today that says that food prices have been climbing faster (inflation) than they have in the last seventeen years. I am not sure if it is correct, but I can believe it.

This summer, I am going to try to focus on the opportunities that I already know about. But I can already feel the panic rising already, so wish me luck---I am going to need it.

No comments: