Saturday, June 30, 2007

The purpose of writing 50,000 words in the space of a month

So I am guessing that many people wonder what would be the purpose of writing 50,000 words in the space of a month. Quite simply, it is for the experience of doing so.

We learn our craft as writers by writing. It is just that simple. No matter how much we read on the subject, or plot out stories and articles, it is not until we are sitting in front of the keyboard that we start to learn how to write. Up to that point, all is just theory. Learning to write just from articles is like trying to learn to drive from reading the manual without taking the car out for a spin.

Many novelists have to write a couple of novels, as in actually finish them, before they hit the point where what they are writing is publishable. In light of that fact, having never written a piece that long before, July promises to be a learning experience.

I think of it as an extensive month long course in the craft of novel writing. I will propbably learn more about the craft of novel writing in one month than I would in several years of reading about it.

And besides, I do need to clean out the cobwebs out of my head. Between school and the pressure of having to support myself by writing, I am on the edge of a case of full blown writers block. Better that I take a month off this summer, and just write something where it is for the act of writing. No thought of pay, or needing to do it. Just writing for writing's sake.

No comments: