Monday, October 27, 2008

Learning by doing

The other night, I was over at a friend's site. She was messing around with her website, which is about the local Denver Capitol Hill Reiki Circle that she is organizing. And as I was watching her, I realized how much I learned about web sites and search engines over the past year.

If I was to make a guess about why I have learned so much, I would have to say that it has been because I have been doing work at it. For me, no amount of reading will do the trick unless I am actually engaged in using the material. Periodically, besides the online writing I am doing, I take a whack at improving the local Golden Dawn lodge's website.

And the site is starting to pick up traction in the search engine results, and the lodge is getting new applicants. The earlier pages, such as the home/index page, badly need to be redone. I know a lot more than I did a couple of years ago when I first started to put the site together.

I suspect that a lot of people learn the same way that I do; we must do before we are capable of improvement. It is true of my writing, my web design, and my Golden Dawn lodge work. It is just my style of learning.

No comments: